March 7

Noticing and Wondering

We consistently hear that students should be doing “real-world” assignments and applying what they learn to “real-world problems or situations.”  We know that real-world math problems and science inquiries are everywhere. Are we asking intriguing questions which require that students invest and take ownership in their own learning?

Annie Fetter (“Annie Fetter at NCTM Ignite.” YouTube. YouTube, 02 May 2011. Web. 13 Feb. 2014.) suggests utilizing a strategy of noticing and wondering.  Post a diagram, a picture, a blueprint, a sketch, etc. on the screen and ask students to jot down what they notice.  Make a list of the things they notice which pertain to math or science.  Next, ask them if they could expound upon that.  Take some time to discuss what they notice.  Then, ask them what they wonder.  Take five minutes to watch Annie’s video and see if she doesn’t inspire you to utilize this strategy as well!

Posted March 7, 2016 by Beverly Ozburn in category Uncategorized

About the Author

I'm Beverly Noland Ozburn and my experience as a professional educator began in 1994 right here in Williamson County when I became a paraprofessional at Page High School. I worked there until 2003 when I graduated with my M.Ed. in Reading and went to Bedford County where I worked as a classroom reading teacher. Most recently, I was a middle school language arts/reading/writing teacher in Rutherford County. I have served as a Co-Director for the local National Writing Project site and as an adjunct professor at Columbia State Community College. Recently, I have served as a consultant for the Tennessee Department of Education's Electronic Learning Center and for Scholastic, Inc. My education includes a B.S. in Agriculture from The University of Tennessee. I earned a certification to teach secondary English and a M.Ed. from Middle Tennessee State University. My introduction to the world of education began when I was five-years-old and my sister was born. I was in first grade and became her teacher as soon as she learned to focus her attention on me for even a brief moment. Oh, the things she learned! I'm sure my mother was thrilled at times. Later, I was the first teacher to guide my two children. If I knew then what I know now... Today I have the joy of learning from our four granddaughters and grandson. I know that there are also times when I teach them unintentionally because my daughter has chastised me for things they repeated after visiting with my husband and me! As a lifelong learner, I am always absorbing, borrowing, and stealing from the folks around me. As a teacher, I'm glad to share those ideas and that knowledge with others. Each day I look forward to working with teachers integrating technology into their instruction and can be contacted at: beverlyo@wcs.edu