January 11

Tenets of an Effective Educator

I’m working to put a workshop for teachers together.  So, the first thing I always do when mapping out a workshop is to remind myself of the characteristics which I need to embody and the tools that I need to employ.  In a recent post by Carl Hendrick I noticed a comparison between great coaches and great teachers.  He reinforced the concept that effective teaching is a result of good relationships.

As with planning a lesson for the classroom, I put some thought into what outcome I wanted.  I considered what my measuring stick might look like and the details of what I would be measuring.  Begin with the end in mind.  So, I jotted down some ideas that would guide me through creating and facilitating the workshop.  Then, I realized, these same criterion might be a good guide for most any effective educator.

1. Identify your passion and share it.

Find an element that you strongly believe is important and outline exactly what it is you love about that element.  Relate your passion for that element to those with whom you are working.  Share your enthusiasm and excitement.  Show them how much you love it.  Let your passion be contagious.

2. Be knowledgeable.

There will be things that you know and resources that you rely upon for most any topic you are going to address with your teaching.  Don’t stop with what you already know or what you have learned – strive to know more.  Learn as much as possible.  Refresh and renew the resources to make your knowledge the most current and grounded.

3. Set high expectations.

We all want our students to strive for and achieve excellence.  What is the ultimate goal?  Set the bar high.  Just because your learners may not have the same background knowledge or experience, that doesn’t mean they cannot make great strides of achievement.  With support, anything can be accomplished!

4. Model expected behavior.

The best example is a good model.  Do as I tell you is not as effective as let me show you.  We are always showing others through example whether we realize it or not.  So, why not be a positive example?  When we model expected behavior, there is a guide for others to follow.

5. Command respect and trust.

The best way to command respect is to give respect to others.  When we show respect to others, we are honoring them and showing our reverence for them.  If we want to be respected, showing that respect is a must.  Along with that, remember that a true community of learners develops a concept of trust in one another.  We grow to know what to expect and to rely upon one another.  So, if we don’t trust others to give us their best, we can never be the receivers of trust and respect.

6. Create a space for scholarly endeavors.

Just as we decorate our homes, when we create materials such as explanatory handouts or research guides or even rubrics, we are decorating our scholarly space.  We are not living up to our own expectations when there are grammatical and spelling errors or when the materials are not eye appealing and inviting.  Design with the expectations in mind.  Your work is a reflection of you; so let that reflection show who you are and what you expect.

Inspire your students to be better than they thought they could be!

Posted January 11, 2017 by Beverly Ozburn in category Uncategorized

About the Author

I'm Beverly Noland Ozburn and my experience as a professional educator began in 1994 right here in Williamson County when I became a paraprofessional at Page High School. I worked there until 2003 when I graduated with my M.Ed. in Reading and went to Bedford County where I worked as a classroom reading teacher. Most recently, I was a middle school language arts/reading/writing teacher in Rutherford County. I have served as a Co-Director for the local National Writing Project site and as an adjunct professor at Columbia State Community College. Recently, I have served as a consultant for the Tennessee Department of Education's Electronic Learning Center and for Scholastic, Inc. My education includes a B.S. in Agriculture from The University of Tennessee. I earned a certification to teach secondary English and a M.Ed. from Middle Tennessee State University. My introduction to the world of education began when I was five-years-old and my sister was born. I was in first grade and became her teacher as soon as she learned to focus her attention on me for even a brief moment. Oh, the things she learned! I'm sure my mother was thrilled at times. Later, I was the first teacher to guide my two children. If I knew then what I know now... Today I have the joy of learning from our four granddaughters and grandson. I know that there are also times when I teach them unintentionally because my daughter has chastised me for things they repeated after visiting with my husband and me! As a lifelong learner, I am always absorbing, borrowing, and stealing from the folks around me. As a teacher, I'm glad to share those ideas and that knowledge with others. Each day I look forward to working with teachers integrating technology into their instruction and can be contacted at: beverlyo@wcs.edu