March 29

Capitalization Made Easy

Did you know you can now convert text to all CAPS and even more in a Google Document?  I remember how helpful it was for me when I discovered the Google Document Add-on, Change Case.  I loved that it would assist me to manipulate text.  The possibilities exactly met my needs:

I like that I can use Change Case for acronyms.  It is much faster for me to simply enter the letters and then manipulate them to be all uppercase.

For those times that I accidentally left the Caps Lock on and entered half a sentence, I like that I could manipulate the text to Sentence case.

These examples and several other times that Add-on saved me some time, effort, and frustration.  It really is the little things isn’t it?  Well, if you don’t have the Change Case Add-on and want to have a simple way to manipulate text, I have good news from Google!

The folks at Google have just added a new piece to the Format drop-down box.  There is now a Capitalization option right in Google Docs without having an Add-on.  In the toolbar, simply select Format > Capitalization and choose the option needed:

• lowercase, to make all the letters in your selection lowercase
  • UPPERCASE, to capitalize all the letters in your selection
  • Title Case, to capitalize the first letter of each word in your selection

It’s that easy!  So, instead of spending time focused upon formatting, you can do more creating, follow your inspirations more, collaborate more.

Tags: , ,

Posted March 29, 2017 by Beverly Ozburn in category professional development, writing

About the Author

I'm Beverly Noland Ozburn and my experience as a professional educator began in 1994 right here in Williamson County when I became a paraprofessional at Page High School. I worked there until 2003 when I graduated with my M.Ed. in Reading and went to Bedford County where I worked as a classroom reading teacher. Most recently, I was a middle school language arts/reading/writing teacher in Rutherford County. I have served as a Co-Director for the local National Writing Project site and as an adjunct professor at Columbia State Community College. Recently, I have served as a consultant for the Tennessee Department of Education's Electronic Learning Center and for Scholastic, Inc. My education includes a B.S. in Agriculture from The University of Tennessee. I earned a certification to teach secondary English and a M.Ed. from Middle Tennessee State University. My introduction to the world of education began when I was five-years-old and my sister was born. I was in first grade and became her teacher as soon as she learned to focus her attention on me for even a brief moment. Oh, the things she learned! I'm sure my mother was thrilled at times. Later, I was the first teacher to guide my two children. If I knew then what I know now... Today I have the joy of learning from our four granddaughters and grandson. I know that there are also times when I teach them unintentionally because my daughter has chastised me for things they repeated after visiting with my husband and me! As a lifelong learner, I am always absorbing, borrowing, and stealing from the folks around me. As a teacher, I'm glad to share those ideas and that knowledge with others. Each day I look forward to working with teachers integrating technology into their instruction and can be contacted at: beverlyo@wcs.edu