April 8

Being The Change

I’ve seen this post pop up a time or two this week.  The first time I read it I shook my head in agreement and, as usual, performed a short reflection to ask myself if it applied to me and if not, why?

I have come to the conclusion that it especially applies to the instructional technology coach team I am fortunate to be a small part of right now.  We are pretty successful at what we do.  So, successful, perhaps, that most people don’t really have an inkling of what we really do.  Yet, we do follow many concepts mentioned in the aforementioned post.

1. We don’t really need to be managed in all things.
    • The coaches are such a cohesive group that we work seamlessly as a team.  The more seasoned coaches mentor the newbies and the newbies offer fresh perspective to the seasoned coaches.  We ask one another first when we are uncertain or need guidance.  We speak with one voice and share ideas, questions that have been posed to us, and responses we have provided.  We focus on what is best for teachers and, more importantly, what is best for students’ learning.
    • We share responsibilities.  We prop one another up.  We communicate.  We care.
  2. We initiate.
    • Last year I got the hair-brained idea that we should be offering online professional development to teachers and suggested using Google Hangouts.  At first I got an eye-roll from my compadres.  After a week or so, they were on-board and we splashed our way into the deep end to give it a try.  We adapted a workshop that we had offered face-to-face and rolled with it.  I took a back-seat but did all I could to support and encourage and suggest.  It was a huge success!  So, we built upon it and continue to learn and grow and expand after hosting three successful online workshops.
    • We offer ideas and suggestions to teachers that we think will enhance their teaching and student learning and nudge them by getting them started on new adventures and support them as they put these in place.  Such was the case with a couple of young science teachers this year with whom I worked.  In a thirty-minute face-to-face planning time, I got them started creating a HyperDoc.  Their enthusiasm was exciting and their end-product and highly-engaged student lesson became a highlight of the quarter.  We continued our work digitally and I showed up to support their implementation but they and their students were really the rock stars when it came to content and skill mastery during that extended lesson.  We initiated a trend that they want to continue building upon for the upcoming year.
  3. We take risks and responsibilities.
    • Every teacher with whom we work is not ready for jumping into online professional development at a location which is remote to the facilitator.  Every teacher is not ready to create a HyperDoc after thirty minutes of face-to-face collaboration.  Some are only ready to post a traditional web-quest in a Google Classroom – substituting an online document for a pencil/paper learning and gathering of facts, events, dates, etc.  Some are more ready to initiate blended learning where they create screencasts for students to watch and come to a classroom that looks and feels more like a coffee shop to work on AP Calculus practice.  So, it is our responsibility to foster those opportunities and nudge teachers into and beyond each stage.
    • We visit classrooms and learn teachers’ and students’ strengths and build upon them.  We nudge them to try new strategies, new digital tools, and new practices but we also support their risk-taking by providing a safety net when they are stepping outside their comfort zone.

I’ve been frustrated since – well, since the beginning of this calendar year because I’ve felt like we are undervalued, unappreciated, and misunderstood.  Instead of being asked what observations I had regarding needs for teacher professional development, we were given a focus that isn’t really in-depth and well-rounded.  We were stunned and frustrated but in the end, we worked to adapt and develop the concept into something rigorous, contemporary, and differentiated.  We decided that instead of just doing the job, we would do it right and complete.

Some of my frustration has also come as a result of needing to be challenged and offered professional development that would grow me and prepare me as a coach for teachers.  I realize I don’t know everything and I need more.  However, my frustration grew because I wasn’t being given the opportunity to seek out challenging, cutting edge, innovative learning opportunities.  Again, lack of understanding, a lack of appreciation, and a lack of feeling valued set in.  Yet, when I used the post mentioned at the top of this page, I was prompted to reflect and I realized something ultra-important.  It really doesn’t matter whether one is valued, appreciated, understood.  It really doesn’t matter if those with leadership positions supervising me don’t really model up-to-date and cutting-edge leadership qualities.  What matters is exactly those behaviors mentioned in the post I read.  One must be responsible enough to take risks in order to grow and be the change she wants to see and hope that those little changes in her little corner of the world make a difference there.

Posted April 8, 2017 by Beverly Ozburn in category Uncategorized

About the Author

I'm Beverly Noland Ozburn and my experience as a professional educator began in 1994 right here in Williamson County when I became a paraprofessional at Page High School. I worked there until 2003 when I graduated with my M.Ed. in Reading and went to Bedford County where I worked as a classroom reading teacher. Most recently, I was a middle school language arts/reading/writing teacher in Rutherford County. I have served as a Co-Director for the local National Writing Project site and as an adjunct professor at Columbia State Community College. Recently, I have served as a consultant for the Tennessee Department of Education's Electronic Learning Center and for Scholastic, Inc. My education includes a B.S. in Agriculture from The University of Tennessee. I earned a certification to teach secondary English and a M.Ed. from Middle Tennessee State University. My introduction to the world of education began when I was five-years-old and my sister was born. I was in first grade and became her teacher as soon as she learned to focus her attention on me for even a brief moment. Oh, the things she learned! I'm sure my mother was thrilled at times. Later, I was the first teacher to guide my two children. If I knew then what I know now... Today I have the joy of learning from our four granddaughters and grandson. I know that there are also times when I teach them unintentionally because my daughter has chastised me for things they repeated after visiting with my husband and me! As a lifelong learner, I am always absorbing, borrowing, and stealing from the folks around me. As a teacher, I'm glad to share those ideas and that knowledge with others. Each day I look forward to working with teachers integrating technology into their instruction and can be contacted at: beverlyo@wcs.edu