November 7

My Blogging Story

I became a blogger years and years ago.  I didn’t really realize that was what I was doing at the time because I had never heard of a blog before!

Nine or ten years ago I had the harebrained idea that some of my teacher friends and I should write collaborative journals.  We each bought a journal and began writing about our teaching practices, strategies, and experiences.  After a week, I collected the journals and redistributed them.  Marcy got Angela’s.  Angela got Nancy’s.  Nancy got Leslie’s.  Leslie got mine and I got Marcy’s.  We wrote for a week and rotated them again.  It was a wonderful learning experience for all of us.  I feel like I grew as a writer and I know I grew as a teacher because I learned what these other teachers were doing in their classrooms and tried applying some of those ideas in mine.

Then, in 2011 I started a personal blog and went public with many of my experiences.  About the only people who follow it and really read it are my family members but it is a way to preserve memories and experiences and a way to share them with other members of my family.

Even now I encourage teachers – especially English and reading teachers – to blog and to have their students blog.  I can think of no better way of encouraging writing and no better way to develop writers than to have them write.  Just like a ball player needs to practice in order to improve his or her sport, if we want to improve as writers, we need to write repeatedly and write often.  What better way to practice that craft than to write a blog post?

Posted November 7, 2017 by Beverly Ozburn in category Uncategorized

About the Author

I'm Beverly Noland Ozburn and my experience as a professional educator began in 1994 right here in Williamson County when I became a paraprofessional at Page High School. I worked there until 2003 when I graduated with my M.Ed. in Reading and went to Bedford County where I worked as a classroom reading teacher. Most recently, I was a middle school language arts/reading/writing teacher in Rutherford County. I have served as a Co-Director for the local National Writing Project site and as an adjunct professor at Columbia State Community College. Recently, I have served as a consultant for the Tennessee Department of Education's Electronic Learning Center and for Scholastic, Inc. My education includes a B.S. in Agriculture from The University of Tennessee. I earned a certification to teach secondary English and a M.Ed. from Middle Tennessee State University. My introduction to the world of education began when I was five-years-old and my sister was born. I was in first grade and became her teacher as soon as she learned to focus her attention on me for even a brief moment. Oh, the things she learned! I'm sure my mother was thrilled at times. Later, I was the first teacher to guide my two children. If I knew then what I know now... Today I have the joy of learning from our four granddaughters and grandson. I know that there are also times when I teach them unintentionally because my daughter has chastised me for things they repeated after visiting with my husband and me! As a lifelong learner, I am always absorbing, borrowing, and stealing from the folks around me. As a teacher, I'm glad to share those ideas and that knowledge with others. Each day I look forward to working with teachers integrating technology into their instruction and can be contacted at: beverlyo@wcs.edu